Thursday, September 29, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Spread

This is based on a recipe from the Ball guide to preserving

6 pounds sweet red peppers (about 8-10 large)
10-15 Roma tomatoes. Use more if they are small, even up to 20
2-3 cloves garlic
1 small white onion
2 TBSP minced basil
1 TBSP sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Roast peppers under a broiler or on a grill at 425 degrees until skin wrinkles and blisters. Turn over to roast each side. Remove from heat and place in a heavy duty ziploc bag, or a large bowl with lid. I have a glass pyrex with a lid that I use.
Meanwhile, while these cool, roast onion and garlic and tomatoes. I wouldn't put the garlic in for about 5 minutes, also leave all the papery skin on, this will protect it a bit. I worried that it would burn, and that makes it really bitter, but it didn't and tasted and smelled yummy! Cook these for 10-15 minutes. I cut my romas in half, putting the cut side down, and when I took the pan out and let them cool a bit, I could just slide the skin right off. Check to see if the onion is softened a bit, it helps to quarter this before putting in the oven. Peel garlic, mince the onion, and run the tomatoes through a food mill to remove seeds. If this is not an issue you could skip this part, however, I am gifting this, and a couple of my relatives have trouble with anything that has small seeds in it, so I try to be careful with tomato gifts. Peel and seed the peppers, if you can't get all the skin off, it isn't  a big deal, then put all veggies in food processor or blender and puree until thick. Place in a large pot with remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until nice and thick. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Place in sterile half pint or pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Adjust two piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath canner.

No comments:

Post a Comment