Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cinnamon Bread

Add 1 package of yeast to one cup of water, dissolve, set aside for 5 minutes while mixing:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey                
 mix until light and fluffy.  I usually mix on med. for about 5 minutes

In the yeast mixture, add one cup bread flour, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt, mix well and set aside for another 5 minutes.

Add one cup milk, either reconstituted powdered milk, or refridgerated milk, to the butter/sugar mix.
Add one cup bread flour
1/2 cup instant potato flakes
 Mix well

At this point, add the yeast mixture to the butter mixture. Beat well. Add 1 cup hersheys cinnamon chips (hard to find, so if you do, stock up. I found easily at the holiday baking time, and our little local grocery carries them all the time). Add an additional 4-6 cups of flour, stopping when the dough pulls cleanly away from the sides of the bowl. Now shut the mixer off for 5 minutes. Then turn it back on, if the dough still pulls cleanly away and doesn't feel too sticky, it is finished. If it is really sticky, add about 2-3 TBSP flour at a time.  There is a large spread in the final flour amounts because humidity really plays a factor. Depending on the time of year that I make this, it will take either 4 1/2 cups or almost 6!! (this is based on my cinnamon roll recipe),

Let rise in a draft free place, I usually put it in my oven with the light on. After it has doubled in size, punch down, then divide into  3 balls and place on a silicone baking mat, or a pan sprayed with non-stick coating.  I bake at 375 for approximately 23 minutes. I use a thermometer to test for doneness, so I don't pay attention to the actual time! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment