Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's the most, wonderful time.... of the year.....


I love early summer! The strawberries are ripe, though we hardly had any due to winter kill, and the blueberries are plumping up  and a very few are starting to get ripe. Yum!



Nice weeds, huh?
  I know this signifies a beginning of  a busy harvesting and weeding and canning, and freezing season, I do love it. Though, sometimes I forget how much time it really takes to have and maintain a garden and yard in the summer.
We have picked a few strawberries for morning cereal and enjoying every one of them.


I added a little rum...
One of Lyle's customers gave us a big bag of fresh picked strawberries, so I did have a few to freeze for either sorbet, or smoothies.

 And, this week signifies the first few blueberries. I think that they are about 2 weeks ahead of schedule due to higher than average temperatures. I hope that the small berries will plump up as they ripen as some of them are pretty little.  Up until just a few years ago, I wouldn't eat fresh blueberries. I attributed the sweet taste that I get in a blueberry muffin to the fresh taste of them, and though I like it in the muffins, I sure don't want to eat them if they are that sweet! Fortunately, my aunt persuaded me to try them in a fruit salad. I was so impressed! Ever since then I can't get enough. So, I am glad that we have over 50 plants/bushes!
We are hoping that in a few years, we will be able to take them to the farmers' market, or have a you-pick operation. Not sure at this time what we will decide to do. Time will tell, I suppose. I will leave you this week with a quick, easy recipe for blueberry or strawberry sorbet. Though any fresh fruit puree will do. Have a great week!

Edit: We came across a great deal on bushes, now we are up to 75 bushes!! I counted and we have room for 5 or 6 more, not sure if we will jump on it this year, though!!!

1 comment:

  1. 75 bushes?! Holy smokes woman! That sorbet looks delicious. We had about 10 pitiful little strawberries this year. Hopefully next year will be better.
    xo,
    Ang

    ReplyDelete