Sunday, March 6, 2011

MYOT

Friday night was, "make your own taco" night at my house. Actually, it looked a little like, "eat my different salsas" night.  From the top left we have, mango salsa, guacamole, lime wedges, (for the coronas, what else?), black bean/corn salsa, and pico de' gallo.  Not pictured is the regular fresh made salsa.  I slow cooked a huge package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts with my fresh salsa. Yep, just salsa. The key to cooking juicy, tender chicken is low and slow. I baked at approximately 250 degrees for 4 hours. Took it out of the oven and let it rest for about 30 minutes and then shredded it. The chicken absorbs most of the salsa, and it is so juicy and tender!  I pulled some slow cooked roast out of the freezer and added some taco seasoning to it. My own taco seasoning consists of: chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper.  I don't like the packaged stuff, though I will admit to using it in a pinch, ie, staying in a condo/motel with a kitchenette and no herbs or seasoning to use in sight. I also use the above combination for hamburger, for taco's, too.
      In addition to the corona, I thought a little sangria would be nice.  I made both white and red.  The basic recipe that I use and love, is: the juice of 2 lemons, 2 limes, and 2 oranges, a bottle or red or white wine. Let sit overnight with chopped fruit of your choice, and add a litre of Sierra Mist. ( I use the diet version, see previous posts). This time I added pineapple, nectarines, and apples, along with some of the chopped fruit from the juices. It is refreshing and oh, so yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment